This video follows two participants in the 2014 Lumpy Waters Symposium–Kelly Yelverton and her mom, Eileen–through the three-day paddling event held every fall in Pacific City, Oregon. Put on by Alder Creek Kayak & Canoe, the symposium brings hundreds of sea kayakers together each year to hone their paddling skills and practice safety techniques with coaches from around the world. From Eileen overcoming her fear of the ocean in expedition-paddler Helen Wilson’s precision and control workshop to Kelly pushing herself in Sean Morley’s advanced longboat surfing class, Lumpy Waters offers something for all levels of paddlers.
–Read more about the 2014 Lumpy Waters gathering.
–Look for a sea kayak symposium near you:
- Sweetwater Kayaks Symposium: Saint Petersburg, Florida – February 27 - March 1, 2015 (www.sweetwaterkayaks.wordpress.com)
- Storm Gathering Symposium: Trinidad, California – March 6-8 (www.greenlandorbust.org)
- Baja Kayak Fest: Ensenada, Mexico – April 18-20 (www.bajakayakfest.com)
- Rutabaga’s Door County Sea Kayak Symposium: Rowleys Bay, Wisconsin – July 10-12 (www.paddlers.com)
- Great Lakes Sea Kayak Symposium: Grand Marais, Michigan – July 16-19 (www.downwindsports.com/glsks)
- Bay of Fundy Sea Kayak Symposium: Nova Scotia – September 25-28 (www.bofsks.com)
- Lumpy Waters Symposium: Pacific City, Oregon – October 16-18 (www.lumpywaters.com)
- Sea Kayak Georgia Skills Symposium and Ocean Gathering: Tybee Island, Georgia – October 17-25 (www.seakayakgeorgia.com)
- Mid-Coast Sea Kayak Rendezvous: Georgetown Island, Maine – October (midcoastseakayakrendezvous.com)