After winning Friday’s Stage Two Big Water Boatercross on Quebec’s Rouge River, Martina Wegman of the Netherlands managed to nudge past Norway’s Mariann Saether to the top of the 2014 Whitewater Grand Prix women’s overall standings with the first of her two weekend wins, also claiming Sunday’s time-trial event (see below). Reigning two-time Grand Prix champ Dane Jackson reclaimed his first-place standing after finishing third in the Boatercross event, shown below and described by fourth-place finisher Rush Sturges as “pure chaos” (see full results and read the full story HERE). Chile’s Marcos Gallegos won the seeded and bracketed Boatercross contest ahead of Canada’s Joel Kowalski. Great Britain’s Sandra Hyslop took second in the women’s boatercross behind Wegman, with Saether in third.
Highlight Recap of Stage Two Big Water Boatercross Race
Jackson and Wegman further solidified their overall leads with wins during Sunday’s Stage Three Time Trials as the roving international invitational moved northeast to a pushy section of Quebec’s Shawinigan River. See Jackson’s breakdown of the course below.
Stage Three Time Trial Top Five Results
1. Martina Wegman (NLD); 2. (tie) Adriene Levknecht (USA), Mariann Saether (NOR); 4. Sandra Hyslop (GBR); 5. Nicole Mansfield (USA)
1. Dane Jackson (USA); 2. Chris Gragtmans (CAN); 3. Tino Specht (USA); 4. Gerd Serrasolses (ESP); 5. Tyler Curtis (CAN)
Three stages remain as the competition heads farther north to Alma, Quebec for a week of big waves and big water and two freestyle events before heading back south on Saturday for the giant slalom race on Sunday and closing party.
Top 5 Women and Top 10 Men Overall
1. Martina Wegman (NLD) [18pts]
2. Mariann Saether (NOR) [17.5pts]
3. Sandra Hyslop (GBR) [13pts]
4. Adriene Levknecht (USA) [12.5pts]
5. Nicole Mansfield (USA) [12pts]
1. Dane Jackson (USA) [81pts]
2. Tino Specht (USA) [75pts]
3. Rush Sturges (USA) [68pts]
4. Joel Kowalski (CAN) [66pts]
5. Gerd Serrasolses (ESP) [62pts]
6. Marcos Gallegos (CHL) [61pts]
7. Nick Troutman (USA) [59pts]
8. [tie] Bren Orton (GBR) [52pts]
Kalob Grady (CAN) [52pts]
Chris Gragtmans (USA) [52pts]
11. Bryan Kirk (USA) [50pts]
CLICK HERE for Stage 1 Best Trick results.
CLICK HERE to see an insider’s perspective on the top contenders for the 2014 title.
Stay tuned CanoeKayak.com for Stage result recaps, and click HERE to follow the official coverage of the 2014 Whitewater Grand Prix.
Click HERE to read about last year’s historic Ottawa River runoff
And HERE to read about the last 2012 Grand Pix in Chile.