Santa Cruz Surf Kayak Festival 2006
Spectacular weather and good waves offered surf kayakers at the 20th Annual Santa Cruz Surf Kayak Festival plenty of opportunities to show their stuff in Sunday’s final heats.
Santa Cruz resident Dave Johnston took first place in the International Men’s Class. Rusty Sage of Reno nabbed first place in the World Cup Men’s category. All four men will receive points toward a berth in the finals in the unaugural World Cup Invitational in October in Thurso, Scotland.
Kate Smith of Sacramento took away the first place honors in both the International and World Cup women’s classes. Woodacre resident Galen Licht was the top World Cup Junior. Mill Valley’s Ken King won the expert Wave Ski category.
Santa Cruz resident Devon Pearse won the intermediate High Performance category and also had the highest overall score among intermediate and novice surfers, therefore winning a $1,000 Island Wave Ski.
The full results of the 2006 Santa Cruz Kayak Surf Festival follow:
- World Cup Men:
- 1st PlaceRusty SageReno, NV
- 2nd PlaceVince ShayLos Osos, CA
- 3rd PlaceChris HarveySt. Sampsons, Guernsey, U.K.
- 4th PlaceKen KingMill Valley, CA
World Cup Women:
- 1st PlaceKate SmithSacramento, CA
- 2nd PlaceGina TroianiSan Francisco, CA
- 3rd PlaceBrigitte Egan Dublin, Ireland
- 4th PlaceAilsa McDougallJersey, U.K.
World Cup Women:
- 1st PlaceGalen LichtWoodacre, CA
- 2nd Place David Speller Jersey, U.K.
- 3rd Place Jared Licht Woodacre, CA
- 1st PlaceDave Johnston Santa Cruz, CA
- 2nd PlaceDan CrandallLotus, CA
- 3rd PlaceBuck JohnsonPrunedale, CA
- 4th PlaceEd King Berkeley, CA
- 1st PlaceKate Smith Sacramento, CA
- 2nd PlaceBrigitte Egan Dublin, Ireland
- 3rd Place Morlee Griswold Ventura, CA
- 4th Place Neus Padros Santa Rosa, CA
Wave Ski Open:
- 1st Place Ken King Mill Valley, CA
- 2nd Place Ed King Berkeley, CA
- 3rd PlaceChris Russ Canyon Country, CA
- 4th PlaceRoger Adams Ventura, CA
Expert Production Plastic Open:
- 1st PlaceDemany Smith Sacramento, CA
- 2nd PlaceDarren Bason Cornwall, England
- 3rd PlaceJosha Stark Fort Bragg, CA
- 4th PlaceJared Noceti Sacramento, CA
Intermediate Production Plastic Men:
- 1st PlaceGarrett NeierSanta Cruz, CA
- 2nd PlaceGreg Whitley Ben Lomond, CA
- 3rd PlaceTyler Muntz Shingle Springs, CA
- 4th Place Matthey FitenySan Francisco, CA
Intermediate Production Plastic Women:
- 1st Place K.C. Crouse Reno, NV
- 2nd Place Nora Laitinen Reno, NV
- 3rd PlaceKim Campbell
Novice Production Plastic Open:
- 1st PlaceAndrew Hill San Jose, CA
- 2nd PlaceRoyce WrightJenner, CA
- 3rd PlaceDavid Lemke De Pere, WI
- 4th Place Sara James San Diego, CA
Intermediate High Performance Open:
- 1st PlaceDevon PearseSanta Cruz, CA
- 2nd PlaceTyler Muntz Shingle Springs, CA
- 3rd PlaceGreg WhitleyBen Lomond, CA
- 4th PlaceDoug Hudson Orinda, CA
- Intermediate Sit-On-Top Open:
- 1st PlaceGraham MeeseSan Geronimo, CA
- 2nd PlaceIsrael GodoyHollister, CA
- 3rd PlaceReed LockhartCoos Bay, CA
- 4th Place Jeff AurrecoecheaKaneohe, HI
For more information, check out the Kayak Festival link at www.asudoit.com.