Voting for the third annual Canoe & Kayak Awards opens today and continues through July 21. A production of Canoe & Kayak magazine, the C&K Awards recognize excellence in the sport of paddling, as voted on by the paddling community.
In May, C&K asked readers to nominate the athletes, expeditions, causes and adventures that best represent the sport of paddling. A panel of accomplished paddlers and C&K editors reviewed the resulting list and selected the nominees for Male and Female Paddler of the Year presented by Shred Ready, Expedition of the Year presented by Nexen Tire, Paddle With Purpose, the Spirit of Adventure Award, and Lifetime Achievement.
Now, the final decision goes back to the paddling community. Visit CKAwards.com from June 24 to July 21 to meet the nominees and cast your vote.
Paddler of the Year
The athlete who has done the most to progress the sport of paddling.
Male Paddler of the Year Presented by Shred Ready
* Ben Marr
* Ben Stookesberry
* Dane Jackson
* Evan Garcia
* Galen Volckhausen
* Gerd Serrasolses
* Hunt Jennings
* Joel Kowalski
* Jordan Poffenberger
* Jules Domine
* Pat Keller
* Rafa Ortiz
* Rush Sturges
Female Paddler of the Year Presented by Shred Ready
* Adriene Levknecht
* Claire O’Hara
* Katrina Van Wijk
* Marianne Saether
* Martina Wegman
* Nouria Newman
* Sage Donnelly
Spirit of Adventure
Awarded to the person or group who best embodies the spirit of adventure.
* Gulf-to-Gulf: Brad Tallent and Austin Graham’s 3,000-mile kayak trip from the Gulf of St. Lawrence to the Gulf of Mexico
* My Big Muddy: Janet Moreland’s inspiring source-to-sea on the Missouri and Mississippi rivers.
* Siberia Crossing: Alexander Martin’s canoe journey across the Far East.
* Siberia-to-Nepal: A five-month, self-support sampler of Asia’s best whitewater.
* The Second Continent, Part III: The third leg of Freya Hoffmeister’s epic South America circumnavigation
Expedition of the Year Presented by Nexen Tire
Awarded to the person or team that completes the toughest, most committing and historically significant paddling expedition of the year.
* Amazon Source-to-Sea: Three adventurers complete the first kayak-only descent of the world’s greatest river.
* Caribbean Crossing: Brothers Russell and Graham Henry paddle 4,000 miles from Brazil to Florida.
* Expedition Q: Crossing Baffin Island by ski and home-made sea kayaks.
* Transatlantic Kayak: 67-year-old Polish adventurer Olek Doba’s never-say-die journey from Portugal to Florida
Paddle with Purpose
Awarded to a philanthropic organization, team or individual that uses paddling to enrich the lives of others.
* First Descents: Fighting cancer through whitewater
* Get Outside and Learn Something: Experiential learning for young people.
* Heroes On The Water: Kayak fishing for wounded warriors
* Paddle Without Pollution: Kayakers and canoeists for river stewardship
* Team River Runner: Whitewater therapy for wounded veterans
Voting concludes on July 21 at CKAwards.com. The awards presentation and celebration takes place on Aug. 7 at Pierpont Place in Salt Lake City, during the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market trade show.
Special thanks to our partners for their support of the second annual Canoe & Kayak Awards: Nexen Tire, Shred Ready, Level Six and Danuu Paddle Gear.
About Canoe & Kayak
Since 1973, Canoe & Kayak magazine has been the world’s leader in paddlesports media. C&K reaches more than 300,000 enthusiastic paddlers every month through print, digital mobile devices and tablets, events, and online at canoekayak.com. The award-winning publication is part of TEN: Action/Outdoor, a division of TEN: The Enthusiast Network.
About TEN: Action/Outdoor
TEN: Action/Outdoor is the world’s largest action/adventure/outdoor media company reaching more than 45 million engaged consumers every month through its print, online, mobile, TV/video and events platforms. Among its 29 leading media assets are brands such as GrindTV.com, SURFER, SURFING, TransWorld SKATEboarding, Bike, POWDER, TransWorld Motocross, Snowboarder, Canoe & Kayak and more. Delivering significant reach across both action sports enthusiast and various in-market consumer audiences, TEN: Action/Outdoor also produces more than 40 leading events and webcasts such as Surfer Poll Awards, TransWorld SKATEboarding Awards, Powder Video Awards, Lowers Pro and EnduroCross. TEN: Action/Outdoor is also the exclusive action and adventure sports content provider for Yahoo! Sports. TEN: Action/Outdoor is a division of the The Enthusiast Network; for more information visit enthusiastnetwork.com.